MUMBAI: The state cabinet on Monday gave its approval to the City Industrial Development Corporation to issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) for the proposed Navi Mumbai International airport.
A RFP is a solicitation, often made through a bidding process by an agency or company seeking to procure a commodity, service, to potential suppliers to submit business proposals.
Announcing the decision in the legislative assembly while replying to a debate on Mumbai and Konkan, chief minister Devendra Fadnavis said four consortiums had been short-listed. However, one was disqualified as it did not get a security clearance. In case of two others, the clearance was granted by the Centre after they fulfilled all conditions.
"The Rs 16,000 crore project is being implemented through Public-Private Participation and CIDCO has a 26% stake in it. CIDCO already has 80% of the land in its possession. Nearly 95% of the land has been acquired through consent award," he said.
Fadnavis said the first phase which will handle one crore passengers will be commissioned by 2019.
"The consortium will be allowed to operate flights even earlier as the airport is being built in phases and the one crore mark will not be reached in a day," he said.
The four companies that were short-listed include GMR Group, the GVK-led MIAL (which has the first right of refusal), Hiranandani Developers along with Zurich airport and Mia Infrastructure with Tata Realty and Infrastructure. The Hiranandani Developers - Zurich airport consortium failed to obtain security clearance